Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Momma's Little Baby

...is almost little no longer. This photo was taken last Labor Day at a friends house:


Here he is at their 4th of July picnic, sitting in that same chair:


and yes he does have cookie crumbs on his chin.

He's growing up way too fast for my liking, but I do love this age. The animation, the curiosity, the emotion, the expressions, the language. "Ca" means car. "Ba" Means ball. "BaBa" means bottle. "Hot" means...hot. "Poppa" means...poppa. Oh, and we can't forget "da" which he just started, it either means dog or he's wondering where Daddy is. No "MaMa" yet but I'll wait.

And I guess I should've labeled this post "One of those days...Part II." I knew he had something else going on, that it wasn't just the teething. Isn't it funny how we just know? I mean, they don't call us the mother for no good reason. He woke up at 5 a.m. today with a fever of 102. I know it's not necessarily cause for sheer panic, yet I was indeed, panicked. I did the usual...put a call into the dr.,tylenol, cool bath, ice pops, pedialyte, and kept checking his temp. It wouldn't go down. And not only was he boiling, but was completely lethargic. My boy is never lethargic. Right about the time I started to sob, the nurse called me back to check on him and I lost it. The conversation is a little blurry, but was something like "He's so tired, and hot, and tired, with little bags under his eyes, cheeks are firey red, he cries and cries and wants to be held and I don't mind holding him but he's so hot so everytime I pick him I continue to worry and I just hate seeing him like this because his little spirit is just gone and I'm so sad..." Next thing I know we had an appointment to see the doctor at 2:30 and we were out the door. *Nurse Sandra- you rock*

Diagnosis: coxsackie. I knew it wasn't just the teething. I know there isn't much we can do but let it run the course, but I knew in my gut that something was wrong.

So...this was my little man this afternoon. How many one year olds actually lie on a couch to watch TV? Sick ones do.



Five minutes later...it was lights out. Don't you just want to snuggle with him and make him all better? So sad...



On a lighter note, my friend Maureen emailed me a photo of us from the 1st birthday party:



Don't we make a cute couple?

4 comments:

Peter N said...

You do! You have a sixth sense when it comes to your bundle of joy, and I hope he's all better, Lyns.

Kelli said...

Aaaawwww, I feel bad for the little guy. Cuddle him lots. Cute pictures!!!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Ohhh... Poor baby. Hope it passes quickly. :(

John said...

These and the pics from Idaho...very cute.

It is frustrating though, isn't it, when you know somethign's wrong but it's impossible for him to tell you where it hurts. We'd take the youngster to the doctor, and it seemed we knew more than he did. It's much better now, when he can actually communicate. I still had to learn a new language though.

"What up dawg?" my butt.